Firefox Extension Template
Creating a Firefox extension can be difficult if you don't know the files involved and how to structure your extension folder. Fear not -- I have created a very basic Firefox extension template file/folder structure for you to get your first plugin going.
File & Folder Structure
- myExtension.xul - The XML that creates the layout of the extension.
- options.xul - The XML that creates proviedes extension options. Empty for this template.
- locale/ - contains language files. None included in this template. Assume English.
- skin/ - contains images and CSS to control extension object layout.
- myExtension.css - a CSS file controling presentation, just like a website.
- logo.png - a sample image. All images go in this folder as well.
- chrome.manifest - maps out the file/structure layout of the extension for Firefox.
- install.rdf - provides information about the extension.
- update.rdf - gets pinged to check for extension updates.
Note that this structure isn't required but is a very commonly used structure. Also, make sure to check out my David Walsh Blog Toolbar post to see an example of my file contents.
Stay tuned for my post on creating the XPI file that packages the extension!