DavidWalsh.Name Has Been Stolen
If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you probably already know that this blog's domain name, DAVIDWALSH.NAME, has been stolen. The domain had been registered and managed at GoDaddy for approximately 5 years with no problems. A hacker logged in, changed the email address on the domain, and moved it to Name.com, then to 1And1. I've also received a ransom email for the domain. Scary times.
The process of fighting to get the domain back has been very difficult, time-consuming, and painful. It's involved dozens of phone calls, emails, and tweets to the vendors listed above. You're now seeing this website because (presumably) 1And1 restored the domain's nameservers. It is important to note, however, that DAVIDWALSH.NAME IS STILL NOT UNDER MY CONTROL.
Thank you to everyone for your continued support in this matter. There's a lot of working going on behind the scenes at GoDaddy, Name.com, and 1And1 to cut through the red tape and get my domain back. Since I'm not always aware of who needs to get in touch with who, I can only continue to badger them on Twitter. I appreciate everyone's continued retweets as well.
- @1And1 and @1And1_4U - CURRENT DOMAIN REGISTRAR THAT I'M TRYING TO GET THE DOMAIN BACK FROM
- @GoDaddy - Original registrar
- Day 6, 10:00 am: I awake to see my domain name in "pendingTransfer" status. Desperately hoping it's a transfer back to Name.com
- Day 5, 10:00 am: Chris Coyier (CSS-TRICKS.COM), Soh Tanaka (SOHTANAKA.COM), and InstantShift (INSTANTSHIFT.COM) have discovered their domains were also stolen.
- Day 4, 11:19 pm: I just called 1and1 and they repeatedly refused to give me their legal/admins. They also made me aware my only means of communication with them was via email; their support person also informed me that their legal department does not have phones.
- Day 3: 1and1 posts a Movember photo on their Facebook page during their downtime
What’s the hold up on 1and1’s part? It seems like the other two registrars get it; why is 1and1 so slow to respond?
Good luck David. This must be incredibly difficult for you.