How to Batch Update Git Commit Messages

By  on  

At Mozilla we're mostly strict about receiving contributions via git/GitHub.  Aside from requiring tests and enforcing code quality, one basic of submitting a commit (or several) is that the commit message begins with "bug #######", which is a reference to its Bugzilla bug.  The message requirement makes sense but I hate going back to contributors and asking them to do "the paperwork" of changing their commit message to match our standard, so I generally try to make the update for them.

Recently MDN received a contribution which upgraded CKEditor and did so via approximately 60 commits, none of which referenced the bug number for the feature update.  I badly wanted to do the commit message updates for this contributor, but I wanted to do so in an automated way -- a batch update to save me the time updating each message one by one.  Welcome to filter-branch and --msg-filter!

Prepending to Commit Messages

To prepend text to every commit message in a given range, you'd execute a message like:

git filter-branch --msg-filter 'echo "bug ###### - \c" && cat' master..HEAD

The combination of filter-branch and --msg-filter will allow you to recurse through every commit message.  The echo piece allows you to build the new string.  The last piece is the range whose commit messages should be targeted -- in this case, I'm prepending the text to every commit in the feature branch.

You can also sed to achieve this:

git filter-branch -f --msg-filter 'sed "s/^/bug ###### - /"' master..HEAD

Appending to Commit Messages

The case for appending to commit messages could be where you want to add the reviewer name(s) to the message.  Appending is roughly the same:

git filter-branch -f --msg-filter 'cat && echo "[Reviewer Walsh]"' master..HEAD

The difference here is the position of the cat command.  Everything else can be the same.

I have a love/hate relationship with git -- I love git because it's so easy for 90% of my needs but hate it when I need the other 10%.  Hopefully these examples help you if you run into this need in the future!

Recent Features

  • By
    Interview with a Pornhub Web Developer

    Regardless of your stance on pornography, it would be impossible to deny the massive impact the adult website industry has had on pushing the web forward. From pushing the browser's video limits to pushing ads through WebSocket so ad blockers don't detect them, you have...

  • By
    JavaScript Promise API

    While synchronous code is easier to follow and debug, async is generally better for performance and flexibility. Why "hold up the show" when you can trigger numerous requests at once and then handle them when each is ready?  Promises are becoming a big part of the JavaScript world...

Incredible Demos

  • By
    Create a Twitter AJAX Button with MooTools, jQuery, or Dojo

    There's nothing like a subtle, slick website widget that effectively uses CSS and JavaScript to enhance the user experience.  Of course widgets like that take many hours to perfect, but it doesn't take long for that effort to be rewarded with above-average user retention and...

  • By
    CSS Animations Between Media Queries

    CSS animations are right up there with sliced bread. CSS animations are efficient because they can be hardware accelerated, they require no JavaScript overhead, and they are composed of very little CSS code. Quite often we add CSS transforms to elements via CSS during...

Discussion

  1. Colly

    I like to keep https://gist.github.com/carmat/8728901 up to date as much as possible. Helpful for shorthand commands to open/create things remotely. I know there are other pre-built tools out there, but this works for me

  2. Peter
    git filter-branch -f --msg-filter 'sed "s/^/bug ###### - /"' master..HEAD
    

    This doesn’t work for multiline commit messages.
    It will prepend to every single line since sed works on line level.

  3. You can fix the sed example like this:

    git filter-branch -f --msg-filter 'sed "1 s/^/bug ###### - /"' master..HEAD
    

    (Note the “1” there to limit sed to the first line)

  4. …and you can ignore the -f if you choose; that’s just a leak from me running this various times.

  5. Patrick

    How can you parameterize the prepended label in a git alias?

Wrap your code in <pre class="{language}"></pre> tags, link to a GitHub gist, JSFiddle fiddle, or CodePen pen to embed!