I’ve been a massive fan of SVG since my days creating charts and animations with the Dojo Toolkit. SVG has been around forever, it even has IE support now, and it’s ultra-flexible. When creating this site’s redesign, I used SVG within an IMG tag and it work great locally. When I pushed to the live server, however, the image displayed as broken and I saw the following notice in the console:
Resource interpreted as Image but transferred with MIME type text/xml: "https://davidwalsh.name/logo.svg".
That was certainly unexpected. Obviously there was a difference in my local server and my production server, so after a bit of research, I found that the following .htaccess update would resolve the issue:
AddType image/svg+xml svg svgz AddEncoding gzip svgz
Serving SVG as XML, what it essentially is, really isn’t of use to me — I want to use it in its visual glory. Keep this snippet handy in case you also run into this issue!