Not Only Updates, But Enhancements! Any Ideas?
I've been updating the website over the last couple of weeks and I'm not quite done yet, but I wanted to share with you what I've enhanced on the blog and see if you have any ideas for me.
- Article Previews. The homepage and archive pages will now only feature a post introduction instead of the full article. The pages were simply getting too long.
- Trackback Toggling. As seen in Set Up Your WordPress Blog To Allow Trackback Toggling. If you'd like to see trackbacks, you can. The default is for them to be hidden.
- Related Posts. If someone comes from Google and doesn't find exactly what they're looking for, maybe an related article would answer their question.
- Glorious Gravatars. To add a bit of personality to the site, I've added gravatars. You take the time to post, I'd like reward you with!
- Code Crunch. Using PHP output buffers, the site's header has been crunched down to one line of code. This should save bandwidth and make each page download faster.
- Example Pages. I've created an example page template to increase branding and make the site look a bit smoother.
- $10 Off Per Month Coupon. I know that some people prefer to pay for hosting on a monthly basis. Use the coupon code DAVIDWALSH10 at Dreamhost and get $10 off hosting each month.
- Phase Out Google Adsense. Google Adsense is, quite simply, ineffective. My best day has been $5 but I'm usually lucky to get one click per day. Moreover, I'm not surprised to see that click worth more than a few pennies. I'm going to test the waters with static advertising.
- Comment Crunching. I'd like to figure out a way to safely remove extra line breaks and tabs in the source code for comments. Any way to save you download time.
- Polls. I'd like to add poll capabilities but I need to find a reliable plugin. I have plenty of poll questions stockpiled!
You Tell Me
I'd love to hear your suggestions as to how I can make my website better for you. Anything you see (or don't see) on my website that could be improved? Anything you want added or removed? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!
Save 20% with discount code
You've probably heard the talk around the water cooler about how promises are the future. All of the cool kids are using them, but you don't see what makes them so special. Can't you just use a callback? What's the big deal? In this article, we'll...
Sooner or later you’ll run across a regular expression. With their cryptic syntax, confusing documentation and massive learning curve, most developers settle for copying and pasting them from StackOverflow and hoping they work. But what if you could decode regular expressions and harness their power? In...
One subtle detail that can make a big difference on any web design is the use of image reflections. Using them too often can become obnoxious but using reflections on large, "masthead" images is a classy enhancement. Unfortunately creating image reflections within your...
A while back I shared my favorite Google Chrome extension: Google Art Project. I've enjoyed seeing beautiful art when I open a new tab -- it's brought genuine happiness to my day, however small that happiness may be. About a week ago, however, the art presented had...
We have selected what we believe are the very best multipurpose WordPress themes on the market today. Our list contains a number of best sellers, several newcomers that are proving to be highly popular, and a few themes that are ideal for creating the types of...
Static site generators seem to have been becoming more and more popular recently, but they’re not one of those ephemeral novelty things that grow in popularity as quickly as they fall into oblivion shortly after. For over a decade, many different projects — 394 of...
Today it's all about testing. In 2015, many developers knows about TDD and I personally think that testing is one of the key for quality products. But what about testing in a Front-end environment? How do you guys write your tests for a responsive page or...
What if you could build complex CSS layouts in minutes? Flexbox is a new CSS layout spec that makes it easy to construct dynamic layouts. With flexbox, vertical centering, same-height columns, reordering, and direction agnosticism are a piece of cake.
There's a popular myth floating around that...